The NFO’s 2018 Annual Conference
April 26 @ 9:00 am - April 28 @ 12:00 pm$10 - $145
It’s time for the
ANNUAL NFO CONFERENCE
April 26-28, 2018
Clinton Inn in Tenafly, New Jersey
An event you don’t want to miss!
What’s planned for the 2018 NFO Conference? Dance workshops; the New Jersey Folk Dance Festival;
presentations about all aspects of folk music, dance, language and culture; reuniting and networking with
wonderful friends and meeting new friends from all over the country. All this and more for only $125 for NFO
members ($145 for non-members). Please join us!
Already on the agenda are:
– Allegra Fuller Synder, pioneered the program in Dance Ethnology (Ethnochoreology) at UCLA and has a wealth of anthropological, historical, and therapeutic knowledge in dance. This kind of information adds so much richness to what we do as practitioners and instructors of cultural dance.
– Steve Weintraub will be master of ceremonies for a Yiddish/Klezmer dance party.
– Murray Spiegel will share with us how languages can be viewed as a living, breathing folk culture and share his life-long project which has been called a Rosetta Stone of languages.
– Steven and Susan Kotansky, known worldwide for their dance knowledge and teaching skill, will share experiences and dances from their recent trip to Albania.
– Glyn Weber and Frank Rubin have amassed a huge library of traditional folk dance music which they identify, cleanup and share with dance groups all over the country. We will play “Name the Tune” with some of their unidentified music.
– Michael Ginsburg, an expert in the complicated rhythms of Balkan music, will be teaching a Balkan dance workshop for us.
– The New Jersey Folk Dance Festival will include 11-15 groups from all over the state of New Jersey. Each group will bring dances for all of us to enjoy.